Are Scorpions In Dallas/Fort Worth As Dangerous As They Look?
Scorpions have been featured in many movies over the years and they are usually depicted as extremely dangerous and scary. The question is, are they as scary as Hollywood would lead us to believe? Today we will answer this question and share some simple and easy tips to keep scorpions out of your home this fall.
Problems Scorpions Cause
Texas is home to the most venomous scorpion in the United States, the striped bark scorpion, otherwise known as the Arizona bark scorpion. This lethal predator packs a venomous sting that has a fatality rate of between 1 and 25%. This rate goes down the quicker a person seeks medical attention after being stung. Common symptoms of a striped bark scorpions bite include vomiting, numbness, diarrhea and, in some cases, death. When these arachnids are pushed into homes, nothing good follows. If you have been bitten by a scorpion, seek medical attention immediately.
Prevention Tips For Scorpions
Scorpions are not typical house pests. They do not enter homes except to seek shelter from danger. Things like high temperatures, rainfall, and construction are a few examples of factors that push scorpions into homes. To keep scorpions out of your Dallas/Fort Worth home, consider the following tips.
- Use a caulking gun to seal up cracks, gaps, or openings found in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Install door sweeps on all exterior doors.
- Make sure all of your window and door screens are in good working order.
- Fix leaks around your home.
- Install dehumidifiers in particularly humid areas of your home.
- Clear brush, debris, and woodpiles off of your property, or at least away from the walls of your home.
- Turn off exterior lights late at night or invest in insect repellant bulbs.
Professional Pest Control Services For Dangerous Scorpions
Your first reaction to scorpions in your home should be to call the professionals here at It’s Bugs Or Us. We will send one of our qualified pest technicians your way ASAP to eliminate scorpions and get your home back to being safe for you, your family, and your pets.
Are you interested in long-lasting pest protection to keep scorpions out in the first place? We have that as well. If you would like to learn more about our pest-protection programs, or need immediate assistance with scorpions, reach out to us today.